Thursday, May 5, 2011

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11

It is now day 5 of my "3 weeks to 30 minutes running" and with all the knee pain I've been experiencing, I decided it was time to break down and buy a legitimate pair of running shoes and not keep abusing my body with those old, ill-equipped Reeboks.
I went down to the nearest Fleet Feet Sports store I read a lot of good reviews online and figured I'd see what they were all about. The conclusion I've come to: These people are VERY helpful.
 I was asked all about my goals as far as running goes, what I've been wearing, what my preferences were, my feet were measured every which way. It was also confirmed that my left foot is in fact, slightly bigger than my right ;) He had me walk across the store to determine my walking patterns and how me feet moved and he even took me outside and had me run in the shoes to see how they felt and for him to see how my running looked. He even promised not to laugh. I am usually not a difficult customer but since this was a fairly large purchase and I've never been a runner, I was a bit indecisive. He was really helpful and brought out a variety of different shoes for me to try and tried to help me steer clear of what I deemed as "ugly ones".
 I ended up going with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11.  They're not as cute  as I wanted, but I know when it comes to running, that ultimately the most important thing is not aesthetics. They felt the most comfortable and I was told they are good for support (which I later confirmed online as well). I was also told that if I try them out, and they just don't work for me, I can return them. That made me feel a bit better about dropping the $$ for them.
I took them for their first test run tonight. I could definitely tell the difference instantly. I realize now, how horrible the shoes I was wearing really were. I'm still making up my mind about these new ones, but regardless of how pleased I end up being with them, they're much  better than the previous, so they're a step in the right direction. I suppose I can look at the cost of these new shoes as an investment and a motivator to keep up with this running thing, since I've now invested a good chunk of change into it (with the 5k race entry fee and now these). Here's to hoping for less knee pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment