Monday, May 9, 2011

Mainland inhabitant for 1 year


It's been 1 year since I moved back to the mainland from Hawaii. I can't believe that much time has passed already. I spent about 4 years there. Where a moped was my only form of transportation, my cure for a hangover was the hot, sunny beach and the cool ocean. When it came time, I was ready to leave, I was ready to grow and move on to the next chapter of my life. I think now, since enough time has passed, all the negative things about it, and the things that wore me down and made me grow to dislike living there, have all faded away and I'm left with the nostalgic feelings and memories of how great it used to be.
I must say, the beaches there have ruined me for the rest of the world (or at least the mainland beaches). Nothing compares to them. Even the prettiest beach in California doesn't begin to compare with the ugliest beach on those islands. The water there, is like no other.Wow look at me go on about how wonderful things were. I know that living there, after awhile, didn't feel different than living anywhere else. I worked 2 jobs (at one point and time 3), I rarely got to enjoy the beach, and life felt boring and mundane. I do miss my moped though. Selling him was one of the hardest parts about leaving the island. Parts of it feels like I was just there, and then other things feel like they are lifetimes away. I've never been good with change. I fear it, it makes me uncomfortable and it saddens me.
Which is probably why I still don't like living in California and I've been here for about 7 or 8 months I think. I miss what Hawaii represents for me, all the people that came into my life because of that experience and how it will never be that way again. I learned so much about myself, about the world and about others living there. Moving to Hawaii was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I know that it was my time to move on from there, and that I did all the growing I could do, but it still saddens me to think that chapter is closed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment