Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

It's Mother's Day today.
Unfortunately, I'm 700 miles away from my mom and unable to spend the day with her. I of course, made sure that a package got to her with a tear-jerker of a card before the big day, but I'd rather just be able to be with her. I've lived away from home since 2007 so I should be used to this whole missing holidays thing. While it does get easier, it never gets easy.
My mother is honestly, one of the most amazing women I know. I'm sure most people say that about their own mothers. It's like everyone thinks they have the cutest baby in the world. They can't all be that adorable, but everyone seems to think theirs is the most precious.
Christmas '85


The difference here, is that my mom is not perfect, by any means. But that is precisely why I think she's absolutely wonderful. It used to disappoint me, when I was younger that my mom didn't look like the other mothers, that she dressed similar to me, that we rarely had dinner as a family and that she worked so much. Now, one of the things I love the most about my mother is her unconventional view of a woman's role (although she definitely still has some dated views) but I grew up seeing that a woman could in fact, work full time, and be a mother and while some things were sacrificed to accomplish this, she got it done. I have impeccable work ethic, and I owe that to both my parents of course, since they're both always been hard workers, but I owe it mostly to my mother. My strong, female role in my life that showed me a woman's place is not just in the home. That a woman can work hard, can raise a family, and do it all while looking beautiful. Now, like I said, some sacrifices were made. I did not have the mother who was waiting for me when I got home from school, or that baked, or cooked dinner, or read me bedtime stories.
My undergrad graduation 2009 
 What I did have was a dynamic combination of parents. I spent a lot more time with my dad growing up, because he had a more flexible work schedule. I did not have the typical stay at home mom/working father childhood. I couldn't be more thankful for that.
I have grown into the kind of woman, that does not believe a man should support me, or even be the bread winner. I am the kind of woman, that wants to go after my dreams and I'll allow a man along for the ride.
I am who I am, because of my mother.  

No comments:

Post a Comment