Monday, May 2, 2011

Fundementals

Suppose it is time to graduate (pun, of course, intended) from a "LiveJournal" (which I started when I was 16 and it served my years of teenage angst very well) to a more adult form of blogging. I'm now in my 3rd quarter of my 1st year as a graduate student. It is a pity I did not start this from the very beginning of my journey as a but the fact that my program is 5 years long, leads me to believe I'm still in my infantile stages of the process.
I am going for my Ph.D. in clinical psychology. I have survived the first 2 quarters (although not without massive stress and some fairly close calls). Graduate school is not anything like undergrad. I came in bright-eyed and bushy tailed with the tools and skills from undergrad thinking I would be able to stay afloat using just those. I got a rude awakening when I realized almost absolutely everything I'd learned in undergrad, was utterly useless. The quality of work demanded is light-years ahead of what I was producing in undergrad. Not to mention the bar for grades is set quite a bit higher with B- being the lowest  you're able to receive and be considered passing. Even then, you get too many of those and it is academic probation. As previously stated, nothing like undergrad.

I've started this blog in hopes of retaining my sanity throughout this process of life in my mid-(ok more like late) 20's experiencing graduate school, changes, stress, relationships, struggles, motivators, family, friends, pressures, research, clinical work and all the mess that combining these elements produces.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm not sure how I ended up at your blog (it was somewhere between googling keywords like grad student and sexy psychologists while joking around with some friends lol) But I just wanted to say that your blog gives me some assurance about my own experience with school :) 'm just starting my clinical psychology program and I couldn't help but notice your DSM! Anyway, I should get back to scoring assessments. Great blog. Good luck with all your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete